I’m going to be moving over to http://declutter69.com pretty soon. Migrating a site is not hard, but, finding the time is hard. The reasons are numerous, but the big ones for me:
- .com doesn’t allow you to install your own plugins, and I wanted to write my own. (I think the most expensive option does allow this, but I’m paying half that for a VPS.)
- .com posts often get zero views. I don’t know if it’s filtering out visitors aggressively or what. Despite this, it still seems to help with promoting listings. It seems cause sales. Perhaps Ebay sees the search engine traffic.
- If I can get some traffic, I’d like to sell ads.
Most folks say that Google likes top level domains (“custom” domains). I fear that new domains are penalized relative to wordpress.com, which is an established domain. I do feel like old domains do get more authority, though. I have a lame domain http://sign-in-sheet.com that just keeps getting traffic and a few ad clicks.
So there will be some downtime.
Reasons Not to Move
- Convenience: no admin work at all.
- Speed: wordpress.com will keep your site pretty fast.
- Effective: seems to help with sales.
I’ll report back about ramping up my existing hosting to be fast. I will try to report on effectiveness. I’m not yet tracking anything WRT effectiveness, so that’ll be difficult to impossible.
I don’t see it ever being as convenient, but if I do manage to get it going, I will offer hosting via a plain old multiuser site for something comparable to wordpress.com, but with a different set of plugins.